Evoque Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a dynamic evoque 5 door but it doesn't have the adaptive dynamics option. What does this do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm about to buy a dynamic evoque 5 door but it doesn't have the adaptive dynamics option. What does this do?
It's an optional suspension with magnetically controlled shock absorbers that can adjust to road conditions many times per second. A similar system can be found on Corvettes and Ferarris.

I have a Dynamic Evoque without the option and I find the ride and handling to be quite good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I opted to get my Evoque with it, cause I hear it make the car more sporty, and a little more fun to drive. Plus... why not get all the gadgets. I cant wait to get mine in June.

Eric

·
Registered
251 Posts
Concur with the above statements. I think, and I empahsize THINK, it's done by a computer changing the viscosity of the shock absorber fluid by changing a magnetic charge. The fluid has magnetic particles in it and as the computer changes the charge the thickness of the fluid is changed therefore slowing or increasing the flow of the fluid throuigh the valves in the shock absober............I think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So couldn't this electronically controlled magnetic dampers/shocks be a potential liability as the car ages? As much as I'd like to get a fully optioned car, the one I'm getting is already in stock and ready to ship fully loaded except for the adaptive dynamics, so I'm confused

·
Registered
326 Posts
It does offer a better ride on rough roads. I am very glad I have it, I could felel the differance between the car with out it and mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my Dynamic without it figuring the stock suspension was sporty enough, and now I am looking into some H&R springs. The stock ride is a great compromise between handling and comfort, but it's the body roll in corners that I can't stand. The adaptive handling will allow you to keep the comfortable ride but eliminate the roll, the best of both worlds. And it is priced very reasonably to boot. Since it can't be added later, I would get it now so you have no regrets.

Go drive both and choose the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Put six hundred miles on my car yesterday. Get the upgrade. Ride is day and night difference!!!!!! High speed handling around long freeway turns showed no notable leaning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just ordered my si4 dynamic with the AD option. Changes the whole handling dynamic for a fun drive and love the way the whole dash changes to red... Very cool, get it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys - new to the forum but really appreciate all the great info!

Quick question - I'm looking at purchasing a 2012 "demonstrator" from a Land Rover dealer in North Carolina. The dealer is confident that the car does NOT have the Adaptive Dynamics option (and the window sticker backs that up), but the terrain response indicator has all 5 icons (including the Dynamic option) and when driving, the Dynamic mode is selectable (the gauges turn red and the "Dynamic" mode is indicated in the dash). I have understood that the Dynamic mode only exists when the Adaptive Dynamics option is included, so I am now pretty confused... can anyone shed some light? I'm of course hoping the dealer is just wrong and the car in fact has AD...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mag suspension has been on Corvette's since 1993. I had it on my C6. It's the best suspension avail in the world. Search for MagneRide. Ferrari now using as well. Love it on my car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jestlookin, is the Evoque a dynamic model as the suspension is only available on that model? Also would recommend you drive it in the supposed dynamic mode, the difference in body roll when cornering is easily noticeable.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It is easily noticeable, however a couple of things. First the magnetic suspension is always ON -- turning the "stiffer" mode on or off only increases its "base" resistance. You cannot "turn off" the magnetic suspension. Second, the car will 99% of the time perform better in normal position, despite seat-of-the-pants experience. This is because the suspension was designed to never have driver input as the "standard" mode base-line resistance actually allows the suspension to work properly. I had personal experience with this suspension on my C6 Corvette... but the short version is GM (who created the suspension with Delphi) put in the "sport" (firmer) mode because drivers wre complaining they wanted their Corvettes to "always feel like a sports car". When they tested C6 at Nürburgring test track the car lapped FASTER in normal mode. Not sport. This is because the who point of a "perfect" suspension is that it can be soft when needed. In the USA, MagneRide a Dynamic model option only.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got it on mine..

2 words "GET IT"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove a Dynamic 5 door today. I thought the ride was a little rough. Does the Adaptive Dynamics feature make for a smoother ride on pavement? I read conflicting answers. It had gorgeous 20" rims, would 19" tires help? TIA.

·
Registered
30 Posts
19" woud soften up the ride...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts