Evoque Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about the "issues" and not so great stock NAVI system, I decided to order a more basic Evoque without Navi....then I made a mistake and forgot to order satellite radio (dealers really should do a better job going over all the options)

So I figure, no problem, I will add after market ones.

I plug in my Garmin NUVI and find out that the heated winshield cuts satellite transmissions by 95% so that the NUVI rarely gets enough signal to stay on track and constantly loses signal all together..... I have spoken to Garmin, Tom Tom, and Magellan and none of the GPS units currently have external antenna attachments...so I'm out of luck for NAVI!!!....back to maps! or else pay constant roaming charges and use my smart phone which is huge expensive when out of my country.

Secondly, I was able to get an external antenna for the satellite radio I added, but the antenna is magnetic and the Evvoque roof is aluminum so it wont stick...I had to apply double sided tape...at least I now have satellite radio clear and crisp.

Next i find out my electronic toll road transponder does not read the required signals when on the highway resulting in a much higher invoice each month as the "video toll charge is added" due to the window not allowing transmission of the signals....I tried placing it throughout the car with no success.

I hate that the heated windshield does not permit satellite transmissions to my aftermarket satellite radio, navigation system, and toll highway electronic transponder. Give me ordinary glass and a window frost scraper instead.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would have also been perfectly happy with normal glass as there's not much benefit to a heated windshield in California. You can see the heating grid at night which makes night driving a bit more difficult. I'm using Google navigation on my Droid and haven't experienced any dropout though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, thanks for mentioning the glass at night....approaching lights illuminate like stars throught the web embedded in the glass...clear glass would be far safer for night time driving.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the phone Droid based Google GPS is not satellite based, but cell tower based, so no interference from the glass...at least that is how it was explained to me...but use my phone travelling from Canada to Florida for 24 hours of data and roaming charges, I might as well buy a different car!

Paul

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Google system available here is sat/nav and works pretty darn good, especially for free. It's at least as accurate as the Mercedes system I had in my last car. Not sure what they're using in your area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
While I was trying to learn the slow and combersome built-in navigation system I kept my Garmin, attached the suction cup to the right RPM gauge window so I could see it through the steering wheel, and laid the power cable which also works as an antenna across the center console so it could pick up the satelite signal through the large sunroof. It took much longer to start gathering a signal but I got it to work that way. When the Evoque went back to have a scatch buffed out they gave me a loaner Range Rover Sport and I couldn't get the Garmin to pick up a signal in that (small sunroof) so I suctioned the cup to the sunroof next to my head, with the Garmin hanging from the roof. I could hear it fine and I just had to peek up and to the right to see the map. You could try that too.
For the toll booth ipass not working, IL gave me an external Ipass that attaches with the front license plate screws, it's a black bar across the top of the plate between the two screws. Ask your toll pass system operators about that option.
I still hate that the online manual shows 10-way power seats but the car came with 6-way seats which only move on an angle from up and forward to back and down, not back and up, so there is little leg room, the seat is either too far up, or back but too low to the floor so my knees are too high. Did anyone else notice that the floor of the evoque is not flat? It slopes, so you can't put the car on cruise and just set your right foot down on the floor without twisting your ankle at an awkward angle. Maybe it would be less of a problem if the seat was in the right location.
The slow navigation system is not just that, the whole center computer is slow. In the Acura MDX as soon as you put the car in reverse the rear backup camera pops on. In the Evoque I'm done backing up and I'm switching the car into Drive by the time the rear backup camera finally decides to come on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have had the same issues with the windshield. We switched the toll tag to a different mounted type and I use a non-GPS based radar detector instead of hubby's GPS one. Also, I don't have NAV so I use my Droid or his iPhone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here it goes with some not so welcomed stuff in the EVOQUE:
The NAV system isn't so bad, after you get used to it, and for the following reasons:
The NAV on the EVOQUE does not have the SPLIT SCREEN mode, like others allow you to see half-map and any other screen you wish, like your tunes for example;
The NAV screen SOMETIMES takes about TOO LONG 15 to 20 seconds to give you the rear view camera after you gear reverse;
The NAV does not give you, NEITHER the dashboard does not indicate your cardinal points (N-S-E-W) AT ALL! that is BAD;
And the worst two issues:
The heated windshield disables your eZpass (your toll paying device) used in FAST LANES to pay for tolls, that means, you cannot use it in the windshield, I usually go through with it in the GALSS ROOF and it works (not all the time!).
The heated windshield has a very strong GLARE when opposit trafic is approching.

Other than that, so far so good, I have had a great time with my Evoque and CANNOT stop receiving compliments on a car that is HARDLY seen in NYC and vicinity (in fact, I have not yet seen ONE!).

All the best
brazeagle

·
Registered
24 Posts
Found another thing I don't like. When I'm playing a song and I set it on Repeat, after shutting the car off and starting it again later, the radio will continue playing the end of the song but not remember that it was set to repeat. I have to push the Audio button on the Home screen then push the Repeat button every time. Repeat used to stay how you set it on every other player I've ever used.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What option includes the "heated windshield"? I have a Pure with and as far as I know, the only heat to the windshield is the defroster although the rear window is definitely electrically heated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What option includes the "heated windshield"? I have a Pure with and as far as I know, the only heat to the windshield is the defroster although the rear window is definitely electrically heated.
The Pure with premium package comes with the heated windshield, which is great when there is ICE or FROST out, in a matter of a minute, it cleans out by irradiating heat, BUT as we all mentioned, there are a few issues that come with it, so I wish I did not have IT AT ALL, since winter is only about 3 months a year.
regards,
brazeagle

·
Registered
44 Posts
There's nothing I hate about my Evoque but 2 things I am bothered by.......First I can't connect my phone via Bluetooth while my iPod is connected via USB simultaneously and the only other thing that bothers me is the lag betweent the camera system when in reverse, sometimes it takes a few seconds for the camera to come one, and then when I'm in drive the rearview camera is still on for only about 2-3 seconds before it goes back to the regular screen aka Navigation. I used to not like the way the mirrors would tilt down when you would put it in reverse but you can easily turn that off so it's no longer an issue, so other than that stuff it's perfect, Like I said don't hate anything, just bothered by a couple little things.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The camera is an issue as well with me, it takes to long to change. The trunk space is to small for me as well. Everything else is great!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm not a big fan of "paddle" shifters although the ones on the Evoque are the best I've seen for placement and ease of use. That said, occasionally I accidentally touch the paddle on the left when I'm turning and then get stuck in 1st gear until I notice the RPMS are getting "up there".

Also, I find myself having to repeatedly touch the "outside" lock on the door handles 2 or 3 times before the car locks. PITA. Almost easier to reach in my pocket and use the FOB to lock the vehicle.

Re the pause for the backup camera to beam up, another car that had this feature paused about the same length of time.

Biggest bitch. The shifter control and the requirement to touch the brake pedal before being allowed to shift from neutral to drive. Normally not a biggie, but coming out of the car wash in neutral with a car right behind me and trying to get the selector to go to drive quickly is a PITA. I believe all the other vehicles I've had with automatic transmissions, I could always move the shifter from neutral to drive just by moving the lever. Wonder if the Evoque has this same restriction when the car is coasting?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm not a big fan of "paddle" shifters although the ones on the Evoque are the best I've seen for placement and ease of use. That said, occasionally I accidentally touch the paddle on the left when I'm turning and then get stuck in 1st gear until I notice the RPMS are getting "up there".

Also, I find myself having to repeatedly touch the "outside" lock on the door handles 2 or 3 times before the car locks. PITA. Almost easier to reach in my pocket and use the FOB to lock the vehicle.

Re the pause for the backup camera to beam up, another car that had this feature paused about the same length of time.

Biggest bitch. The shifter control and the requirement to touch the brake pedal before being allowed to shift from neutral to drive. Normally not a biggie, but coming out of the car wash in neutral with a car right behind me and trying to get the selector to go to drive quickly is a PITA. I believe all the other vehicles I've had with automatic transmissions, I could always move the shifter from neutral to drive just by moving the lever. Wonder if the Evoque has this same restriction when the car is coasting?
I had the same problem until I realized that its not a touch system like my Audi. Its more of a push. And if you get impatient and push push push it will get confused and you have to wait a sec. Patients is key.

·
Registered
20 Posts
dont get me wrong, I love my evoque. but yeah there are a few quirky things I found odd or that bug me a little bit or glitched out on me already:

1) as with everyone else, the several second delay on the rear camera makes it useless. I'm already backed up and out of my spot by the time the thing comes on.

2) the snow setting for the windshield wipers. They stay parked halfway up the window EVEN WHILE YOUR DRIVING?!? the software should be smart enough to know that when you are in drive, the wipers should go down, not block your view.

3) the side mirror tilt down when backing up glitched once and was completely backwards! let me explain. first off, i have this feature disabled now because I found it to be VERY DANGEROUS. I will never turn this feature on again. So what happened is that I turned it on after I bought my car, used it several times, everything worked good as far as it tilting down when you reverse, etc etc. Then one day I back up into my parking spot at work (so I can jet out of there fast). So after work, I get in and pull out of the parking garage quick to get on the highway before the rush hour onslaught which is right out of the parking garage. Now I'm on the highway and I noticed MY MIRRORS WERE POINTING COMPLETELY DOWN leaving me with NO VISION whatsoever, even moreso since the back window is so small its pretty useless. So I could not see anything at all (this was late at night too which made it worse). when i pulled over to a rest area, I stopped the car, put it in reverse and then my mirrors TILTED UP?!?! then I put the car in park and my mirrors when DOWN! reverse again, they went up. put it in drive and they went back DOWN AGAIN!!! wth? can we say BACKWARDS??? this is extremely dangerous. I immediately disabled the feature turned it back on and kept playing shifting in and out and turning the feature on and off and eventually it glitched back into the correct mode where it stays up when in drive/park and it tilts down when I put it in reverse. major flaw!

4) the hump at the base of the drivers seat is annoying as this is usually where I put my left foot.

5) havent tried yet, but I'm sure my ezpass isnt going to work since I have the climate control package (e.g. heated front windshield).

6) I accidently grinded my electronic parking brake because I put it in park to slightly open my door to lean out more and get the mail, hopped back in , flipped it over in drive then hit gas and GRRRRRRINNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD I had no idea the damn electronic parking brake doesn't turn off unless your door is fully shut. this SUCKS. sometimes too many features is actually a nuisance like this.

7) no remote keyless start for a $50+k luxury suv? fail.

8) the distance til empty and amount of fuel consumed gauges are not accurate whatsoever.

9) i've accidently hit the left downshifting paddle a few times already shifting it down and throwing my RPMs up high. usually happens when I meant to turn on the heated steering wheel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re having to push the brake pedal in order to shift from neutral to drive, apparently this only happens after a time delay. I discovered this quirk while going through a car wash. When all the way through and the sign comes on to drive away, it's necessary to first tap the brake pedal in order to shift from neutral to drive. Today I did a test and parked on a level area where I didn't have to worry about rolling ahead. I waited for one minute and then tried to shift from neutral to drive. The selector was locked and I had to push the brake pedal in order to shift. If the car is just stopped for a few moments, there is no lock when the selector is in neutral and then immediately moved to drive.

Once again, I consider this feature a BIG PITA when I'm going through the car wash.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey yobigd20,

Use your "return" key occasionally. Your posts are too hard to read without an occasional blank line (say between items).

It's going to be interesting what happens the first time I used my ezpass. Wonder if it works when the windshield is NOT being heated?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey yobigd20,

Use your "return" key occasionally. Your posts are too hard to read without an occasional blank line (say between items).

It's going to be interesting what happens the first time I used my ezpass. Wonder if it works when the windshield is NOT being heated?
lol thanks.

I noticed another issue last night. This may be what Starflyr is talking about. I drove past a driveway, flipped it in reverse but it wasnt going anywhere, flipped it in drive and still not going anywhere. Its as if the shifter knob was just ignoring anything I put it in and staying in neutral or something. I had to put it in park slowly, then back in drive to get it to respond again and move forward when I hit the gas. I don't think the knob should allow me to put the car in drive or reverse if it wasn't actually going to do anything. Kinda dangerous I think. thats the 4th dangerous glitch I've found with this suv so far.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts