Evoque Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we are generally very happy with our Evoque, we have found little "issues" that pop up. Many are the same that you find posted on here (blind spot, inability to use Garmin, EZPass, etc) but I haven't seen this one unless it's posted under something else.
I went out to the car this morning to find the driver's side window shattered. Not broken or vandalized (all contents of the car were there) and no glass INSIDE the car. It looked as though the window broke from the inside and, for lack of a better term, had a "belly" to the outside. A neighbor of mine thought it could have been the heat. I live in Philadelphia, not Palm Springs so I don't think our 80F was busting any windows and if it was, why not the others?
Of course the dealership said they had never heard of this, just like they had never heard of the heated windshield not allowing transmission of GPS or the engine steaming when it rains. Roadside assistance towed my car and I'm scheduled for a replacement NEXT Thursday.
Initial photo.JPG Window belly out.JPG Inside (no glass).JPG Inside out.JPG Pressure point.JPG

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's crazy. I am in Philly too. I have not experienced any heat issues. Will be watching though. Good luck with the repair

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune. Did you have the sunroof shade open? Hate to say this but I think you were actually vandalized. The window bowing outward is not 100% indicative that it popped from the inside. Pulling whatever might have been used out of the window coud do it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
It could be defective safety glass, or if you have a dark interior and the shade on the roof open. My 06 GMC truck had the front glass crack when parked due to interior heat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've left mine in 115 degree temps all day with the roof shade open and it hasn't happened so it must be some kind of defect.
I hope I never see a temperature that hot in the US ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've seen this before in tempered or toughened glass. In a very small percentage of glass manufactured ( 1 in 100,000) a small defect can occur - they call it glass "cancer". Now in most situatiuons nothing will happen over the life of the glass but in others it will spontaneously and quite spectacularly "explode" - no heat or temperature issue just a defect in the glass. The radiation of the glass shattering is characteristic - it starts from the defect and spreads out. Just unlucky. Photo 5 shows it best.

·
Registered
326 Posts
. The radiation of the glass shattering is characteristic - it starts from the defect and spreads out. Just unlucky. Photo 5 shows it best.
Thanks, that does show what you are talking about well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was sitting in my car tonite in the parking lot at work, 2:00a.m., no wind, temp mid 70's, low humidity, absolutely no traffic in parking lot, car sitting by itself with no other cars around...rolled up window to get out of car and window spontaneously shattered when it got to the top of the frame. I actually thought somone was attacking my car from behind and after I stopped screaming (lol), I realized there was no one there. No rocks have hit my window recently and it had no cracks of any kind, that I ever noticed. Just wanted to concur that it can just happen spontaneously, for no reason. If I had not been in the car when it happened, I would have just assumed it was vandalism or a BBgun as I am out in ******* and roadkill country of Florida. My 2008 car is black and sits out in the sun and elements day in and day out, windows are tinted and use sunshield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem with spontaneous shattering of my window. Below is a picture of the back window in my 2012 evoque. As we were leaving for work one morning, we noticed that the glass was completely shattered. The hole in the glass did not occur until I got out of the vehicle to see the window up close and closed my vehicle door.

The low was only 46 that night, so it was not related to weather. It was not vandalism as we live in a rural area. If someone was trying to break in the vehicle, they only had to open the door.

photo.JPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a similar problem with spontaneous shattering of my window. Below is a picture of the back window in my 2012 evoque. As we were leaving for work one morning, we noticed that the glass was completely shattered. The hole in the glass did not occur until I got out of the vehicle to see the window up close and closed my vehicle door.

The low was only 46 that night, so it was not related to weather. It was not vandalism as we live in a rural area. If someone was trying to break in the vehicle, they only had to open the door.

View attachment 520
Hi Cindy! I'm sorry to hear about your window. I experience the same with the hole, only upon closer inspection. What kind of reaction did you get from the dealership or the service department?
I was contacted by LandRover NorthAmerica to talk to their engineers this week. This call is a result of my frequent participation in JD Power surveys (any other new owners getting hounded?) and complaints about the heated glass in the windshield and the blind spots in the front. NOW I will certainly bring up the glass since it's happened to more than 1 person. I don't know if I said it before but when I brought my car in, the dealership was shocked and told me I was the first Evoque in the country (?!?) to have broken a window.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was sitting in my car tonite in the parking lot at work, 2:00a.m., no wind, temp mid 70's, low humidity, absolutely no traffic in parking lot, car sitting by itself with no other cars around...rolled up window to get out of car and window spontaneously shattered when it got to the top of the frame. I actually thought somone was attacking my car from behind and after I stopped screaming (lol), I realized there was no one there. No rocks have hit my window recently and it had no cracks of any kind, that I ever noticed. Just wanted to concur that it can just happen spontaneously, for no reason. If I had not been in the car when it happened, I would have just assumed it was vandalism or a BBgun as I am out in ******* and roadkill country of Florida. My 2008 car is black and sits out in the sun and elements day in and day out, windows are tinted and use sunshield.
I had the window repaired the next day and repairman said, "I'm sure the cable to the window housing snapped when you were rolling it up, or it wouldn't have done that. We'll see when I take out the window". I sat in my garage and watched him to make sure it wouldn't "become" another repair. The cable wasn't snapped and the window housing worked fine. He had no explanation for why my window would do that. The only thing that kept the window intact, even though it was shattered was the fact that I had after-market window tint on the inside. I was able to drive home that morning from work and only small pieces fell off on the edges where there was no tint. It pays to have the tint. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Cindy! I'm sorry to hear about your window. I experience the same with the hole, only upon closer inspection. What kind of reaction did you get from the dealership or the service department?
I was contacted by LandRover NorthAmerica to talk to their engineers this week. This call is a result of my frequent participation in JD Power surveys (any other new owners getting hounded?) and complaints about the heated glass in the windshield and the blind spots in the front. NOW I will certainly bring up the glass since it's happened to more than 1 person. I don't know if I said it before but when I brought my car in, the dealership was shocked and told me I was the first Evoque in the country (?!?) to have broken a window.
I was just given a price quote for replacing the windshield. I have contacted them today to see how to file a complaint as it appears that I am not the only one who experienced the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glass Coverage

I'll be interested to hear what the dealership has to say, Cindy.

As for glass deductible, I did not qualify because it was not the windshield or the rear window. The dealership told me since it was a drivers window, it would not be covered. 10 days and nearly $400 later, my window was replaced. Still no explanation.

I did speak with the engineers (I was conferenced in with the UK and NJ) and shared my issue. Again, it was met with questions and since I was not there when it happened, I couldn't explain beyond: it did not appear to be vandalism (no point of entry, nothing stolen, no glass inside or outside of my car) and I don't believe weather had anything to do with it since I live in a normal climate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts